Verbicide Magazine is an independent entertainment website published via Scissor Press by founding editor Jackson Ellis and creative director Nathaniel Pollard. VerbicideMagazine.com was launched on August 1, 2009 as a successor to the defunct print publication of the same name.
VerbicideMagazine.com is updated daily, Monday through Friday, and focuses on fiction, music, and art. Interview subjects range from musicians, to authors, to comic book creators, to actors. Verbicide also regularly features political commentary, modern art pieces, Abstract Fantasy comics, and movie, book, and music reviews.
The music focus of Verbicide has generally been on punk and indie rock, though as of late 2005 it has included hip-hop coverage as well.
In October 2000, Verbicide issue two (another cut-and-paste zine) was published, and on election night, November 7, 2000, Jackson met Douglas Novielli through Chris Connal at a Rancid show in Boston. Doug ran a literary webzine, Terraspatial, and Scissor Press was quickly formed as the media company “umbrella” under which a number of projects would be produced.
In June 2001, issue three of Verbicide was published. It was 48 pages of newsprint with a black and white cardstock cover, the first professionally printed issue. The press run was 1,000 copies, and Verbicide made the leap to becoming a full-time endeavor.
In August 2002, Jackson met Nathaniel Pollard in Madison, Connecticut. Nate began contributing Abstract Fantasy comics to Verbicide starting with issue seven (January 2003), and designed his first covers for Verbicide with issue eight (May 2003).
After working with Jackson for two years as co-editor and co-publisher, and helping to bring Verbicide from a handmade zine to a nationally-distributed magazine, Douglas Novielli stepped down from Scissor Press in April 2003, several weeks before the release of Verbicide issue eight.
Another former partner, writer Jason Marchi, worked with Scissor Press and Verbicide from January 2002 until early 2004. During this time, Jason’s non-profit writing competition, the New Century Writer Awards, operated cooperatively with Scissor Press. Scissor Press remained headquartered in New Haven during Jason’s tenure as managing partner. Since September 2004, Scissor Press has been jointly operated in Ludlow, Vermont and Brooklyn, New York by Jackson Ellis and Nathaniel Pollard.
Verbicide was released annually in 1999, 2000, and 2009, and biannually in 2001, 2002, and 2004. Three issues per year were published in 2003, 2005, and 2006, and it was published quarterly in 2007. The press run peaked in July of 2007 with a single-issue press run of more than 25,000 copies. Verbicide was circulated for free in New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Boston/New England (via Newbury Comics), as well as in limited amounts in New Haven, Portland (OR), Rochester, Bloomington, at zine conferences in Montreal and Detroit, and via Books To Prisoners.
In March of 2009, the 25th and final print edition of Verbicide was released, and the magazine was relaunched online on August 1, 2009.
- Jackson Ellis - publisher, editor-in-chief
- Nathaniel Pollard - publisher, creative director, website designer
- Heather Schofner - features editor
- Erin Gambrill - fiction editor
- Mark Huddle - editor of the national affairs desk, columnist
- Larry Livermore - columnist
- Douglas Novielli - columnist
- Kris Sevillena - staff writer
- Michael Twohig - staff illustrator
- Raegan Butcher - fiction
- Christopher Staley - fiction
- Jeremy Robert Johnson - fiction
- Christopher Connal - interviewer
- Ryan Brosmer - interviewer
- Cayte Nobles - photographer
- Garrett Lyons
- Seth Gotro
- Sean Lambert
- Matt Edmund
- Sean Collier
- Peter Terebesi
- Craig Gilbert
- Casey Boland
- Jennifer Swann
- Alex Murphy
- Casey Boland
- Matthew Wright
- Brian McKinney
Notable Past Contributors:
- Ray Bradbury - fiction (issue five)
- Sander Hicks - feature article (issue five)
- Lee Ranaldo - fiction (issue seven)
- Glen Friedman - photographer (issues twelve, fifteen, nineteen)
- Jamie Hewlett - cover art (issues sixteen, twenty)
- John Fante (posthumously) - fiction (issue nineteen)
- Diane DiPrima - fiction (issue twenty)
- Hunter S. Thompson (posthumously) - fiction (issue twenty-one)
- Jack Kerouac (posthumously) - fiction (issue twenty-two)
- Nelson Algren (posthumously) - fiction (issue twenty-three)
- Shirley Jackson (posthumously) - fiction (issue twenty-five)
Former Staff Members:
- Lisa Rierson - arts editor (2005-2007)
- Tobi Elkin - features writer (2006-2007)
- Avir Mitra - staff writer (2006-2008)
Former Managing Partners:
- Douglas Novielli - co-publisher, co-editor (2000-2003)
- Jason Marchi - co-publisher, assistant editor (2002-2004)