La Palabra is a bi-monthly zine, based in New Jersey, U.S.A..
While some issues carry a specific theme, others are generally about music and drinking. Regardless of the theme, all issues (1-6)contain a love/hate list, an alcohol related quote entitled "Last Call", an advice column called "Dear Crabby", and a "Back Cover" which is a picture of a female's backside with the words "the end" attached to it. Starting with Issue #7 "Last Call" is now three comics from the newspaper that are alchol influenced and "Leave it or Loathe it" replaces the love/hate list. Contributors include James D'elia(Issue #1),Amanda Garcia(Issues #2&4), Scruff Cardinale(Issues #1,3,4-7) and Dave Slagle(Issues #1-8). Distribution locations for this free zine are local record stores, tattoo parlors, barber shops, bars, and Somerville Town Drunk shows.
- Issue #1 aka "Congratulations It's A Zine" includes a Post No Bills interview, an article about getting older and a Tom Waits album review
- Issue #2 aka "These Colors Never Run(because their black and white) includes a history of Jack Daniel and a 1980's base ball nickname all-star team(Ryne "Ryno" Sandberg anyone?)
- Issue #3 aka "Third Times A Charm" includes an interview with The Turnbucklers, a Metaskaphelies album review and an article entitled "What White Guys Shouldn't Do"
- Issue #4 aka "The Food & Drink Issue" includes recipes for beer brats and butter burgers, a food/drink playlist, tips for BBQs, history of the "Fat Sandwich", and a 40oz review. Comes with hand stamped napkin.
- Issue #5 aka "I wanna Rock N Roll all night and La Palabra everyday" includes the year in sports, movie of the year, albums of the year and the inaugural class of the Alco-Hall of Fame.
- Special Issue #1 aka "Home for the Alco-holidays" is a 1/4 page zine that includes a Christmas love/hate, the history of eggnog and a letter to Slagle Clause.
- Issue #6 aka "Issue #6 was typed before a live studio audience" includes a you know you're from Jersey list, a chili recipe, 1990's basketball nicknames, and stories about the Somerville Town Drunks.
- Issue #7 aka "Siete" includes a story about The Jersey Jumper Sam Patch and the Great Paterson Falls, a touching story about Scruff's recently deceased cousin, a review of Jersey City Heights liquor stores, a new recipe, and Not so famous 2 sport athletes. Plus a new look for "Last call" and a new feature called "Leave it or Loathe it".
- Issue #8 aka "The White Issue" includes an interview with the band Kid Nichols, my favorite beer taglines, a hot chick movie review and a page to pick your favorite facial hair.