The two editors met at the University of Oregon and soon teamed up to create Girl Germs. It was a cut and paste photocopied publication of which five issues were released. Published just before Riot Grrrl truly emerged, it helped pave the way for this movement, along with other proto-Riot Grrrl zines such as Tobi Vail's Jigsaw and Bikini Kill by Vail, Kathi Wilcox and Kathleen Hanna.
Contributors to Girl Germs included Erin Smith (also of Bratmobile and co-editor of the zine Teenage Gang Debs); Sue P. Fox; Kathleen Hanna; Jean Smith, of the band Mecca Normal; the editors of Double Bill, Caroline Azar, Jena von Brucker, G.B. Jones, Johnny Noxzema and Rex; Jen Smith (editor of Red Rover); and Kaia Wilson. Groups interviewed by Girl Germs included Calamity Jane, Unrest, 7 Year Bitch, Jawbox and Fastbacks.
Molly Neuman also published the zine riot grrrl, and Allison Wolfe was a contributor.
Archives that have copies of Girl Germs:
- Barnard Library Zine Collection, New York City
- GLBT Historical Society in San Francisco, California
- The Independent Publishing Resource Center in Portland, Oregon
- Sarah Dyer Zine Collection at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina
- Sarah and Jen Wolfe Zine Collection at The University of Iowa Libraries
- Sophia Smith Zine Collection at Smith College