The two editors met at the University of Oregon and soon teamed up to create Girl Germs. Published just before Riot Grrrl truly emerged, it helped pave the way for this movement, along with other proto-Riot Grrrl zines such as Tobi Vail's Jigsaw and Bikini Kill by Vail, Kathi Wilcox and Kathleen Hanna.
Contributors to Girl Germs included Erin Smith (also of Bratmobile and co-editor of the zine Teenage Gang Debs); Sue P. Fox; Kathleen Hanna; Jean Smith, of the band Mecca Normal; the editors of Double Bill, Caroline Azar, Jena von Brucker, G.B. Jones, Johnny Noxzema and Rex; Jen Smith (editor of Red Rover); and Kaia Wilson. Groups interviewed by Girl Germs included Calamity Jane, Unrest, 7 Year Bitch, Jawbox and Fastbacks.
Molly Neuman also published the zine riot grrrl, and Allison Wolfe was a contributor.
Archives that have copies of Girl Germs:
- GLBT Historical Society in San Francisco, California
- The Independent Publishing Resource Center in Portland, Oregon
- Sarah Dyer Zine Collection at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina
- Sarah and Jen Wolfe Zine Collection at The University of Iowa Libraries
- Sophia Smith Zine Collection at Smith College