Angry Violist is a zine published in Cambridge, U.K.
The zine is about the subversion and mis-use of classical string instruments and advocates playing experimental music on traditional instruments in an unusual way. It is focused on punk, experimental and avant garde music, along with DIY culture. The zine has profiles of experimental string musicians and how-to information on using violins, violas and cellos creatively and innovatively. It also focuses on the problems and preconceptions that come with being a violist (as opposed to a violinist).
Format and History
The zine is A5 size (issues 1-3 were A6), printed in black and white ink in a collage/cut'n'paste style.
- an interview with Raincoats violinist, Vicki Aspinall
- a guide to string playing in Krautrock
- the amazing Krautrock Krautmap
- an appreciation of violists
- punk versus folk: which four letter word will win? A look at the similarities between the genres
- how to make your playing sound grubby and super-scuzzy
- How to make your own pick-up
- String-arrangers, we love you! Looking at the work of Robert Kirby (Nick Drake), Timothy Brock (The Cabinet of Dr Caligari) and Carter Burwell (Fargo)
- Subharmonics: the crazy anomaly of physics which lets you play an octave lower than your lowest string
- Rock’n'roll string quartet: interview with Richard Maximoff of the Hampton String Quartet
- Scandinavian folk fiddle playing
- Improvising for cowards
- It's a viola, actually: how to befriend your friendly, local violist
- Drones! Drones!! Drones!!!
- Violin playing for idiots and for the lazy (a DIY guide)
- Diabolus in musica and other freaky musical phenomena
- Fluxus String Playing and Charlotte Moorman
- the Amazing Harry Partch
- All-stars and Heroes: anti- and alternative violinists in history
- Your bow, your friend: a guide to violinists or guitar-playing bow owners
- Belle-moche, punk-rock and YOU
- Transylvanian viola folk music
- Learning the violin=evil? Struggling to find your sound against all odds
- the amazing sounds of bowed electric guitars