Between a brief introduction and the end credits, Crap Hound edited by by Sean Tejaratchi is pure imagery. Each page is filled with high-contrast art, culled from vintage catalogs, advertising, obscure books, and found ephemera. Although widely used as an art and design resource, Crap Hound warns, "Many images in Crap Hound are copyrighted by lawsuit-friendly entities. Remember that Crap Hound is a mixture of social commentary and somewhat overindulgent graphic design. It is not a means to trample the fragile rights of huge corporations. Remember: there's no "U" in copyright infringement. Crap Hound officially urges you to obey all laws, all the time."
Crap Hound was first self-published in 1994, in Portland, OR, with a print run of 500. Between 2005 and 2017 it was published by Show & Tell Press run by Chloe Eudaly of Reading Frenzy. In 2010, Show & Tell published expanded new editions of the original issues, as well as new issues. While the format has remained the same, the length has increased to nearly 100 pages per issue and the current print run is 5000. In 2017, buyolympia.com took over publishing Crap Hound. In December 2017, they published "Crap Hound #9: Sex & Kitchen Gadgets" which included the originals from #2 and #3, dramatically re-edited and cleaned-up.
Each issue explores one or more themes. As of October 2011 they are as follows:
- Crap Hound #1: Death, Telephones & Scissors [1st edition out of print]
- Crap Hound #2: Sex & Kitchen Gadgets Part 1 [1st edition out of print]
- Crap Hound #3: Sex & Kitchen Gadgets Part 2 [1st edition out of print]
- Crap Hound #4: Clowns, Devils & Bait [1st edition out of print, 2nd edition published in 2010 (96 pages) in print]
- Crap Hound #5: Hands, Hearts & Eyes [1st edition published in 1996 (68 pages), out of print; 2nd edition published in 2004 (76 pages), out of print; 3rd edition published in 2010 [88 pages], in print]
- Crap Hound' #6: Death, Telephones & Scissors [heavily revised and expanded reprint of #1, 4th edition published in 2012 (96 pages), in print]
- Crap Hound #7: Church & State Part 1 [out of print]
- Crap Hound #8: Superstitions [published in 2011 (96 pages), in print]
- Crap Hound #9: Sex & Kitchen Gadgets [published in 2017 (100 pages), in print]
It's found an wide, international audience with zine makers, graphic designers, crafters, and tattoo artists. It's distributed throughout the US, Canada, UK, Europe and Japan. Out-of-print issues are in high demand and run upwards of $100.
As of fall 2011, Sean Tejaratchi has begun work on an book-length version of Crap Hound featuring "Unhappy People" for Feral House Press. buyolympia.com will continue to reprint back issues and publish new issues as they are able.
Crap Hound, and the art work of Sean Tejaratchi, was featured in the exhibition The Copyist Conspiracy: An Exhibition of Zine Art in San Francisco in 2005.